Q: The code for Engine Intake Manifold came up as my car was being scanned, but how do I know exactly what needs to be fixed?

My service engine light came on 2 days ago. However, my car has been acting funny for quiet a while now. I assumed it was my transmission, but I wasn't positive because it only occurs seldomly. As I drive, the rpm meter goes crazy, and when it does my car feels like I'm letting off of the gas and stepping on it again, repeatedly. I took it to O'riely's to have it read and engine intake manifold came up. I know there can be 3 different things wrong with it, but how can I tell specifically what it is without paying a fortune? I'm a single woman, and I've heard of mechanics taking advantage of women due to their lack of knowledge on cars. I did talk to one man at Lakeway Tires in Woodville Tx who told me I could possibly just need an induction cleaning. I know that has something to do with my air filter, but I just got that changed 2 months ago. I have to wait until Monday because shops are closed until then. I just want to know as much as possible before hand. Please help?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. The codes that t...

Hi, thanks for writing in. The codes that the computer has stored should be diagnosed to see what is causing them. The induction system cleaning should be the throttle body plates cleaning. The carbon build up on the throttle plates will cause the idle to fluctuate up and down. You can have a mechanic from YourMechanic.com diagnose the problem and they will credit the diagnostic charge to the repairs you have done that are needed. The mechanic will come to you.