Q: The clutch sticks and won't shift properly after the oil was changed

Hi, I drive a 2005 mazda rx8. I recently went for an oil change. Durring the proccess one of the employees asked me to turn the car on, after turning the car on another yelled to turn it off. Apparently the oil filter was not on at the time. The car was only on for a second. Immediately after I noticed something didn't feel right with the clutch. It does not activate until half way down and now gets stuck half way up and I'm also having trouble shifting into first gear. I read somewhere this could be due to oil contamination? Any ideas? Should I go back and complain? Its been a few days since. Thank you!

It sounds as though you may be having a problem in the clutch hydraulics. If that’s the case, it normally wouldn’t have anything to do with the oil change, unless someone put the wrong fluid into the clutch master cylinder when they were topping it up. On first guess, that would seem unlikely.

The clutch master cylinder is just to the left of the brake master cylinder. It uses conventional brake fluid. Check the reservoir and see if it is full and if the fluid is clean. From where I sit, I can only speculate, but it might be that you need a clutch master and slave cylinder replacement. If you contact a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, they can send a technician to your home to determine if a clutch master cylinder replacement is necessary.

3. The clutch sticks and won't shift properly after the oil was changed