Q: I have a 2009 Ford Focus it won't go into gear when I start it but it'll go into gear when the car is shut off what can it be

The car won't go into gear if it started if I shut it off it will go into gear what can it be please help

Hi There, It sounds like the clutch may not be disengaging properly where the pressure plate may not be pushed in completely by the hydraulic clutch system. You can try checking this by starting the vehicle with the clutch in and the vehicle in gear. If the car starts to lurch forward, this would indicate there is a problem with the clutch and you should have it check by a qualified mechanic. Be sure to perform this test in an area where you are safe from any objects and clear to move the vehicle without hitting anything should it fail.

3. I have a 2009 Ford Focus it won't go into gear when I start it but it'll go into gear when the car is shut off what can it be