Q: Battery died and was jumped, but will not stay running

asked by on December 13, 2016

I start the car .it runs 5 min .then dies out killing the battery . To start again I have to charge the battery . For about 10 min Lights flicker lights start to get dim

Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1362.41 Get a Quote

You may have a couple of different issues going on here. This may be a sign of a weak battery, a failing voltage regulator or failing alternator. If the battery is weak but able to hold a charge, when starting the vehicle you will need to let it run for at least 30 minutes in order to properly give the battery a chance to charge back up. As you may know, the alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power as you have described. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.