Q: The car occasionally has startup problems

I have a high-mileage car with sporadic difficulty starting. It has gone around 200,000 miles.When I bring the car to a halt and try to start it up shortly after, up to 15 minutes later, the car is very hard to start up again. At that point, the electrical system functions normally, but the engine cannot turn over. Then I have to try several times to turn it on again, which usually takes up to 15 minutes and it would work. The car would be restarted and run okay. What is causing this? I went to the dealer and he couldn't diagnose the issue.

You would most likely have a problem with the anti-theft module, it’s not getting deactivated. The module is the most common failure and would need to be diagnosed and repaired at a dealer or a shop with the special diagnostic scan tool needed to reset the module. Once that is done they will be able to install a new module and program it to work on the car.

However, if you’d like a second opinion on this, feel free to contact a certified technician who can diagnose your starting issue first hand and fix it accordingly.

3. The car occasionally has startup problems