Q: The car drove over a lot of snow and got stuck in first gear

Hello. I have transmission issues on my car with around 130,000 miles on it. I was thinking it might have something to do with the very cold weather and the snow storm that hit the area recently. My car won't shift out of the first gear. It happened after I drove over a significant amount of snow. I cannot even shift it manually now. What should I do? Is it necessary to replace the transmission? Please give me some advice.

If your transmission will not shift out of first gear it could be caused by a number of things.

The most common things that could cause this issue would be a faulty shift solenoid or a damaged transmission. Many newer transmissions rely on electronic shift solenoids to carry out the task of shifting. When these solenoids go bad, they can be quite troublesome.

The solenoid replacement is the preferred cause over internal transmission damage.

I would recommend having your shifting issue inspected by a certified transmission specialist to ensure best results.

3. The car drove over a lot of snow and got stuck in first gear