Q: The car cannot be started randomly

My car occasionally cannot start up. It sometimes runs great while other times it cannot turn over for no obvious reason. It happens randomly and lasts for an unpredictable period of time. When I put the key into the ignition, the car would be unresonsive. If I try again, it can be turned on or not. A few months ago, it happened that it wouldn't start at all for several days. After that, the car had no issues whatsoever. This difficulty starting up happens if I drive all day or after the car sat for a whole day without driving. I had the battery checked. Also, no codes came up when the mechanic ran computer diagnistics. They say that everything is fine with the vehicle. What could be causing this? Thank you.

A: It sounds like your ignition switch may hav...

It sounds like your ignition switch may have an intermittent failure. I would recommend having your ignition coil tested by a certified technician and replaced if necessary to see if that will fix the issue. Considering that this issue has been occurring for quite some time and it can happen in a number of different scenarios, I think it is part-related rather than conditions-related.

The ignition switch is the piece that you stick your key into and when the key is turned it enables battery power to flow through to the starter. If this does not happen sometimes, the ignition switch may be at fault. I would recommend having a certified mechanic inspect your vehicle's starting issue to verify the faulty component and make the necessary repairs.