Q: Temperature starting to climb on a 2004 Pontiac GTO

My car is starting to overheat a little. Its normal temperature is around 179 - coolant temp. But it’s been starting to climb to the 190’s. The fans are working and the coolant is full. I also replaced the cap on the overflow tank. Do you have any ideas on this issue? What could be causing this? Thanks.

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2004 Pontiac GTO. If the weather in the area has been very hot, you can expect a rise in the operating temperature of a vehicle. The cooling system works to remove as much heat as possible from the engine coolant by moving air across the radiator. If the air is warmer, this will hinder the cooling just a bit. If the engine cooling system has never been flushed, this is an option along with replacing the coolant thermostat. If you notice the problem get any worse, have the overheating issue diagnosed by a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. Temperature starting to climb on a 2004 Pontiac GTO