Q: Tapping noise at high rpm only.

When the van is idling there is no tapping only if I really rev it. Then there is a loud tapping noise that gets faster with higher rpms. While driving it only makes the noise when accelerating fast to get into flow of traffic or when it down shifts going up a hill. Again, just during high rpms. I can cruise at 75 and no noise.

A: Hello, thanks for writing in about your For...

Hello, thanks for writing in about your Ford E-150. The noise may be the engine is pinging from pre-ignition. This can be due to ignition timing that is too far advanced. Another possibility is that the EGR valve is not working or if the passages are clogged. Have system diagnosed by a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, they’ll be able to perform these checks and diagnose the noise you’re hearing firsthand.