Q: What's wrong with my gas pedal?

asked by on October 18, 2016

Hi there so ive been having some trouble with my 2010 chevy aveo lt just today. I got the vehicle a month ago and i noticed today that i was driving 30-35 behind another car and trying to speed up 40mph but i pressed the gas my car wouldn't go and my speedometer was dropping down to 20mph and i pushed the gas to the floor and it still wouldn't go i thought i was going to have to pull over i tried it again it made a vroom sound and took off with a delay of like 5 sec

Hello. This may be related to what is called a throttle position sensor. This is a small sensor inside the intake system of your car that monitors the position of your foot on the gas pedal and relays this information to the ECU which then directs more or less fuel to the engine depending on where your foot is in the throttle range on the pedal. When this sensor is not working properly, this can cause intermittent throttle response issues as you have described. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose the acceleration problem and replace your throttle position sensor if necessary.