Q: Car wont move when I step on the gas. I was driving when this happened

asked by on May 08, 2017

As I was driving when I would step on the gas it would no longer move. The check engine light came on.

Hello, thank you for writing in. There are several reasons the gas pedal may become unresponsive. The first step is to have it scanned for diagnostic codes, to find out what issues the vehicle’s computer has detected. This will narrow down the possiblites, and give you a system to focus on. From there testing can be done on system or component that has triggered the warning light. You may be having electrical issues, problems with your throttle, or problems with your transmission. Checking the level of your transmission fluid is also a good place to start if trying to repair the vehicle at home. Keep in mind if you are having a transmission problem, or you do find your fluid to be low, you should seek professional help due to the complexity of the system. Only after this testing can diagnostics be confirmed, and repairs made. For more help contact our service department to schedule an appointment.