Q: Fuel rich smell from car

I detect a fuel rich smell when I start my car and for a little while afterwards.

A: I’m not sure if you mean you smell fuel or ...

I’m not sure if you mean you smell fuel or your vehicle smells like it’s running rich. If it’s the latter, there are dozens of reason for a rich mixture. Anything from a bad fuel pressure regulator to a faulty throttle position sensor could be the cause. Among other things, a rich condition is indicated by black exhaust smoke. I suggest having a trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your vehicle’s smell to see what repairs can be done.