Q: Car won't go into gear

My car won't go into gear, and I was told that I need to replace the shift cable.

A: Do you have a manual or automatic? On eithe...

Do you have a manual or automatic? On either, if a cable is broken, it needs replaced. On a manual car, a defective clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, or worn clutch can make it difficult to go in gear. For an automatic, check the transmission fluid. If the level is good, and the car won’t move, the transmission is probably shot. A qualified mechanic from YourMechanic can come out and diagnose your gear shifting issue and determine what repairs are needed.