Q: Takes a long time to crank .

Let a shade tree mechanic change the distributor and he didn't put it back on right took to Firestone and they put it back on right but it still takes a long time to crank? Changed the oil sensor unit, crank sensor ,camshaft sensor and still does the same thing.. Any idea on what the problem could be???

I would ensure you are getting strong spark with a spark tester (available for a few dollars). Depending on the version of the 4.3L you have, they are known for having problems with the fuel system.

For example, if you have a plastic intake manifold on the center of the engine, they are know for leaking fuel pressure regulators. Regardless, you need to check for fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge (also not very expensive). The connection port is on the rear driver side of the engine with a cap on a steel line. The pressure with key on, engine off should be at least 45-50 PSI and should not drop. If the pressure is not there or leaks down I would suspect a bad fuel pump or a bad fuel injection unit (if you have the plastic intake).

If the vehicle runs fine when started, I would suspect the fuel pump based upon experience. Also, have your battery tested.

If you need some help with this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come diagnose your starting issue and make the necessary repairs.

3. Takes a long time to crank .