Q: Coolant in gas tank

asked by on April 19, 2017

In January someone poured coolant into my gas tank. My fuel line , injectors ,etc. have been replaced but my car is still at times acting as though it wants to stall. The skipping has increased to almost every day. Yesterday while I was turning my car to the right it actually stalled out. I was able to crank the car up and move it. Do you feel as though this could be related to the coolant possibly affecting my engine ?

Hi there. This is a very difficult question to answer, as we don’t know how long the engine was exposed to coolant in the fuel system before it was noticed. In most cases, the damage that will be done is to fuel system sensors, spark plugs and some emissions systems like an EGR valve. Fuel injectors might actually clean up due to lubricity in the coolant, but it’s really hard to say for certain. I would recommend having a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to start inspection, so they can inspect systems for damage and what is causing these problems.