Q: SUV stops & idles at red lights

When at a red light or stop sign, my SUV will just stop and idle. Once it has died, it won’t start until I wait for 20 minutes or more - then it will start again. Also, if I’ve driven for a while and turn the car off to go into a store, it won’t start afterwards. Yet again, I have to wait a while for the engine to cool down. How can I fix this?

I would recommend having your alternator tested. If the voltage regulator inside the alternator has failed allowing the alternator to overcharge the battery, symptoms such as the one your described may occur. These symptoms would be the result of the battery overheating from being overcharged by the alternator. The alternator should be producing about 14V DC while the engine is running. This test can be performed by using a digital multimeter in volts DC mode to check the voltage at the battery terminals. If the voltage shown is any more than 14, it is likely that the voltage regulator in your alternator has failed. If you need help with this, a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can come to your Chevrolet Tracker’s location to diagnose your stalling issue and help you move forward with the correct repairs.

3. SUV stops & idles at red lights