Q: Steering wheel won't lock. Yellow steering lock warning on dash. Only comes on when removing fob.

A strange thing happened a couple of days ago, here's an exact description of what happened;

Day 1 1. Got in car, put fob in dash, steering unlocked and started car. 2. Drove a few miles and parked up. Turned off engine. 3. Removed fob then a yellow steering lock warning light came up and steering would NOT lock.

Went online and found the only issues mentioned on various BMW forums were with steering locks that DO lock but eventually don't UNLOCK, nothing about the steering not being able to lock at all.

Day 2 and Day 3 1. Got in car, put fob in dash, (no warning light on dash at this point) as steering already unlocked, (as wouldn't lock the previous night) and started car no problem. 2. Drove a few miles again and parked up. Turned off engine. 3. Removed fob then yellow steering lock warning light came up and steering once again wouldn't lock.

Now, when the steering did lock right up to a few days ago, it wasn't locked tight, it could still be moved

Hi there. The issue seems to be the shifter interlock solenoid may be malfunctioning causing the steering wheel lock to not release or not engage.

I suggest having the computer scanned for any codes that would be stored or pending for the steering system as there is a warning light on for the steering lock system. This will give you the correct item to check when dealing with your steering wheel not locking. If you need further assistance with the steering wheel not locking, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Steering wheel won't lock. Yellow steering lock warning on dash. Only comes on when removing fob.