Q: Steering wheel shakes at speed over 80 mph, after tire replacement

Hi. I have recently replaced all the tires on my car with new 17-inch Michelin Energy, the same as the tires that the car came with. While driving at speeds higher than 80 mph, I've noticed that the steering wheel shakes. I had it rebalamced but the issue persists. I've never had this problem before. Is it because of the tire replacement? Will it go away in time or is this more serious? Thank you.

There are several options you could try to test this issue. One option would be to have your tires checked for a possible manufacturer defect. This would be something like a slipped belt that would cause a bump in your tire therefore causing a vibration in your steering wheel.

Another option you could try is to have the tires rotated 180 degrees on the wheel and then reseated and rebalanced. This may move a heavy spot to a different part of the wheel and allow the wheels to balance better. The final option you could try would be to have your tires roadforce balanced.

This uses a special balance machine that adds an extra variable to the way the machine determines how much weight to add. That extra variable is roadforce. Perhaps you are feeling a roadforce imbalance and this could correct your issue. Ensure that any of these options that are used get carried out by a professional who is trained to use tire machines and wheel balancers.

3. Steering wheel shakes at speed over 80 mph, after tire replacement