Q: Bad experience with CVT

asked by on November 07, 2015

The CVT transmission in my 2011 Subaru Outback up and quit one day when I was driving to work. Just made some clanking sounds and then no power to the wheels. Pretty shocked at it, really. It was working just fine before that and I only have 60,000 on the vehicle. Is this car a lemon? What should I make note of when replacing the trans in regards to warranties and whatnot?

Lemon laws vary by state, but in general, the manufacturer has three attempts to successfully repair the original concern before Lemon proceedings can begin. In regards to notes that should be made when replacing the transmission, be sure that the dealer/repair facility updates the transmission computer program (per Subaru technical service bulletin (TSB) 16-93-15). This update can help extend the life of the transmission. If the vehicle has a transmission cooler, the lines and cooler should be properly flushed before installation of the new transmission. As for warranty, (in very general terms) remanufactured parts come with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. Be sure to check the type of warranty with the repair facility before the vehicle is repaired. Some warranties may cover parts, some just labor, others both. Keep all warranty and maintenance paperwork for the duration of the warranty period.