Q: Car squeals during the winter and transmission jerks

When I put my van in 'Park' it sometimes starts rolling and my brakes won't work. It's a horrible experience! It also rattles and shakes when I stop at a red light. I'm sick of this car! The dealership can't fix it. What do you suggest?

A: Hello. It sounds like it is possible that y...

Hello. It sounds like it is possible that your transmission may be starting to fail. If your car is rolling when it is in park, it is not staying in the parking gear. This indicates that there may be an internal problem with the transmission.

A bad brake booster, or poor engine vacuum could cause the car to roll while in park as well.

It would be a good idea to have the brakes, steering and suspension inspected by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.