Q: Steering wheel makes loud groaning noise

asked by on February 01, 2016

When I turn my steering wheel it makes a loud groaning noise. It only does this while in Park, stopped, or when I start to drive. When I turn the noise is not as loud. Lately, my steering wheel is not as loose while turning. Is it my power steering?

From the information provided on your Pontiac, it leads me to believe that there may be an issue with your power steering pump. A test you can perform, only if you are comfortable, involves open the hood after the engine has been off and locating the power steering reservoir. You can refer to your owner’s manual for the exact location. You will then want to check the level of the fluid in the reservoir. If the fluid is low, then it is an indication that the Pontiac has a leak in the power steering system. If the fluid is full then it is likely you have a failing power steering pump. To know exactly what is going on with your Grand Prix, I highly recommend enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic who can diagnose and repair your issue.