Q: Steering pump issue 2006 Ford Escape

asked by on March 08, 2017

Q: Changed Power Steering Pump asked by Mo C on March 05, 2017 I just changed power steering pump & pressure hose on Ford Escape 2006, 3.0 motor & 2 wheel drive. Parts are from Autozone...Now the Steering feels really hard when I start the Car but loosens up fine once I start driving? Is it a bad pump which I already changed twice ? My car has 215k miles. My car has an automatic transmission.

Steering wheel is hard to turn Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - there are a couple of possibilities for this "hard steering" behavior. It is possible that there is still air in the system, although having driven it some, with many left/right turns, that should be a non-issue. A sticking pressure relief valve in the (new) pump could also cause this behavior - startup cause the pressure relief valve to stick in the "release pressure" position, resulting in little pressure for assist. Engine vibration and use cause the valve to return to a normal position, and giving needed power assist to steering. The pump, despite being new/rebuilt, may be defective. For further diagnosis, I recommend a hard steering inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr