Q: Steering pump issue 2006 Ford Escape

asked by on March 08, 2017

Q: Changed Power Steering Pump asked by Mo C on March 05, 2017 I just changed power steering pump & pressure hose on Ford Escape 2006, 3.0 motor & 2 wheel drive. Parts are from Autozone...Now the Steering feels really hard when I start the Car but loosens up fine once I start driving? Is it a bad pump which I already changed twice ? My car has 215k miles. My car has an automatic transmission.

Steering wheel is hard to turn Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - there are a couple of possibilities for this "hard steering" behavior. It is possible that there is still air in the system, although having driven it some, with many left/right turns, that should be a non-issue. A sticking pressure relief valve in the (new) pump could also cause this behavior - startup cause the pressure relief valve to stick in the "release pressure" position, resulting in little pressure for assist. Engine vibration and use cause the valve to return to a normal position, and giving needed power assist to steering. The pump, despite being new/rebuilt, may be defective. For further diagnosis, I recommend a hard steering inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.