Q: Engine seems like it's out of time

I've replaced the crankshaft,camshaft,and throttle position sensors. The car is now throwing no codes. I have good fuel and spark, it wants to run but it won't.it backfires threw the air cleaner. Is it possible I have put the pulley on wrong and it's out of time? I just don't know what to do next

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. It is surpris...

Hello, thanks for writing in. It is surprising to me that there are no codes stored. Nonetheless, I suspect your timing chain and gear set are worn sufficiently that the timing chain has jumped one or more teeth, and your engine is indeed "out of time". This engine is very durable, but the timing chain set is the weak link for high-mileage cars such as yours, and the backfiring through the intake is a classic symptom.

I would recommend having a engine backfire inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.