Q: Car acts like it’s started, but the engine isn’t actually on.

asked by on December 31, 2017

I will press the brake in, which is normally easy but it’s hard to press right now, press the start button and then my car will click and the engine seems to make some sort of effort to turn over then won’t. However the car thinks it’s on and all the systems inside the car act as if the engine is on but it is not. I have tried jumping it thinking it might be the battery (it still could be I guess) but the car still acts like the engine turned over when in fact it did not.

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi Connor. Thanks for contacting us today. In most cases, when your car has power with the accessories but will not start, it’s caused by either an ignition or fuel system failure. This could be due to a faulty fuel pump, mass air flow sensor, clogged fuel filters or injectors or perhaps ignition system components like crankshaft position sensors. The best way to determine what is causing this problem is to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an on-site inspection.