Q: Engine has a cranking noise and car vibrates... also service engine soon light is on

asked by on October 13, 2016

I have been experiencing this cranking and vibrations coming from my engine for the last 2 weeks. The cranking and vibrations stop after a few minutes while idle. When it stops i can drive the car with no problem but now the cranking and vibrations are taking longer.

Hello. The symptoms you describe would suggest that the starter is not disengaging immediately from the engine. This is caused by damage to either the starter drive, the engine’s flexplate (or flywheel) or both. The symptoms will only become worse, to the point that the car not starting, and this can happen very quickly. I recommend having a certified professional diagnose the rough idle and Check Engine Light so that this can be corrected properly.