Q: possible bad ecm if I reset it will that help me in finding out if its bad.

asked by on October 14, 2016

I have 95 Chevy blazer 2wd v6 vortex I belief 4.3 l I have been having issues with it recently and I have searched hundreds of forums I believe I pin pointed the problem I think I have a bad ecm but I can afford to just go and buy one to try and see if it works my question is this if I reset the ecm by removing positive cable from battery and wait five mins and reconnect it will it help me to establish if the ecm is bad or not (ie) it start running better then fail again or nothing with happen to change it? The car is running like crap rough idle sputtering misfiring jogging down when accelerating and when . Stop after it running or driving for a little bit stalling as soon as it restarts I go to hit accelerator it stalls again! Thank you for your time and consideration

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Fuel Pump Replacement $120.92 - $1186.72 Get a Quote
Fuel Filter Replacement $83.13 - $270.56 Get a Quote

Hi there. From the description you provided, it is unlikely, the ECM (electronic control module) is at fault. First and most important, when disconnecting the battery, always disconnect the negative terminal first and reconnect last. Starting with the positive terminal, there’s a chance to arc or short out your tool and/or other components (ECM, etc...). Assuming the check engine light works, the ECM should recognize the poorly running engine. Accessing the ECM may help identify the fault. If, no information can be accessed. Checking fuses would be in order. The drivability concern, sounds more like fuel delivery problem. Which, could be caused by low fuel pressure, for example bad fuel pump, plugged fuel filter. I recommend before you spend money replacing the ECM, have your vehicle diagnosed by a certified technician from YourMechanic.