Q: Steam and foul odor coming out of vent

It appears that the heater core may need to be replaced. I have steam coming out of the vents with a foul odor.

Hi. This is a classic symptom of a failed heater core. A cooling system pressure test on the cooling system will help in the diagnosis. Fortunately, the heater core is removed from underneath of the wiper assembly and cowling from the engine compartment. Most vehicles have to have the interior dashboard removed to extract the heater core. One thing to remember, no repairs or opening the cooling system should ever be attempted with a hot engine or pressurized cooling system, serious injury could occur.

3. Steam and foul odor coming out of vent