Q: Startup difficulty after filling the gas tank

asked by on June 23, 2016

After putting fuel in my car, it has difficulty starting up. It would crank a lot and when the enigne starts, I have to keep it at 1800-2200 RPMs for a short while, so that it wouldn't turn off. What could be the cause of this?

Hello. If this started right after getting fuel, then you may have gotten bad gas. It sounds like the fuel might be mixed with something else. If the fuel is fine then the fuel pump may be failing. If the fuel was really low when you added to it, then the fuel pump may have been overheating and the cool fuel could cause it to fail. I would usually check the gas first to see if there are signs of contamination. If it is fine, then I would check the fuel pressure to see if the pump is weak and failing. If you would like to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your starting difficulties and let you know how to resolve this issue.