Q: Starting problem. Shutting off

My Jeep sat for several years. I had the engine rebuilt and it now has around 30,000 miles on it. When I started it a couple of months ago, the engine was running well. I had the fuel lines cleaned. After that, it sat for a while again. I tired to start it the other day, but it would turn on only if I add fuel to the carburetor. But it soon shuts off, when the fuel is consummated. I had the fuel lines checked. I've noticed that when the engine turns over, it pumps fuel to the carburetor. What should I do?

A: I would have the carburetor rebuilt or repl...

I would have the carburetor rebuilt or replaced with a rebuilt unit. Gasoline turns to gum and varnish as it ages. Most likely the float valve is gummed up, preventing gas from entering the carb and onto the engine. A professional mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, can confirm this diagnosis and replace your old carburetor if necessary.