Q: 2012 VW Beetle Turbo. Vehicle will not start.

2012 VW Beetle Turbo. Vehicle will not start. When I turn the key the ignition seems to be turning over, but the engine does not crank. The EPC, check engine, and low alternator voltage dash light come on when I attempt to start it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Prior to performing diagnostics be sure you have a fully charged battery that passes a load test. Then, confirm that the engine immobilizer system (security system) is not activated thus preventing the car from starting. Basically, if a fully charged battery is powering a starter motor that is turning the engine over rapidly, at sufficient RPM, but the engine does not catch and run, that means that there is an ignition, fuel, air induction, or mechanical fault in the engine that will have to be repaired. Be sure there is adequate fuel in the fuel tank and that the fuel is not old. Check for adequate fuel pressure (does the in tank fuel pump whirr momentarily at the instant you turn the key to the "on" position?), injector operation, and a spark at the spark plugs. In your circumstance, your vehicle’s Check Engine Light is illuminated. If the simple checks I outlined above do not result in the car starting your best option is to request a check engine light diagnostic. During such a diagnostic, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic would use a code scanner to retrieve the specific diagnostic trouble code(s) from your car’s PCM that will identify the "system" or area of the fault. Using those general codes, the appropriate individual vehicle components or sub-systems (often a sensor, circuit, and the like) are individually tested to pinpoint the cause of the fault. Once the faulty part or component is pinpointed, it is explained to your satisfaction and the mechanic will let you know of the cost to repair. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.