Q: Starting problem: I turn the key on and everything on the dashboard comes on, all the lights work, but the truck wont start?

I used to be able to giggle the shift around and it would start, but now even that doesn't work! I have insured that the battery is fully charged and even put a booster charge on and tried to start it, no luck? Others have told me its some kind of sensor,but i don't know where to look or what kind of a sensor it is? I would appreciate any advice you can provide, my mechanical abilities went away in the late 70's when they complicated things! Thank You, Paul My car has 200000 miles.

A: Hello. Try checking underneath the steering...

Hello. Try checking underneath the steering column where there should be two torque headed screws that connect the shift lever to the cable. These tend to get loose or even fall out sometimes. There are also bushings in the shifter tube that can wear out which will also cause this to happen. Lastly, check the shifter cable down at the transmission. Although this is a bit more uncommon, it is still possible that this may cause this kind of problem when it becomes loose. If you need some assistance with this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the starting issue and have it corrected.