Q: Starting issues when engine warms up

I've got troubles starting my car. To be more specific, the car won't start after I drive it for 15 minutes and more, when the engine gets warmed up. I don't think that the problem is with the starter as I can hear the sound of it when I attempt to restart the car. Also, I installed a new battery in the car, along with spark plugs, timing chain and the new radiator. So, the engine cannot turn over right away. It usually takes me about 20 minutes of trying and the engine would eventually start back up. I took the car to several shops but none managed to fix the problem. Do you have any idea what might be causing this?

A: Hello there, thank you for asking about you...

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais. Your symptoms are very similar to a vehicle experiencing a problem with the intake air temperature sensor. Other reasons for such a hard start can be low fuel pressure from a weak pump or clogged fuel filter. Because you mentioned the vehicle is harder to start after it is warmed up, I believe the intake air temperature sensor has failed and is continuously telling the engine computer the air is very cold. In this case the computer will richen the fuel mixture to compensate for the more dense cold air. This creates too rich of a mixture and the engine must turn over and turn over trying to expel the extra fuel before starting. If you would like help, a mobile technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your car's hard start and replace the fuel pump or filter if necessary.