Q: How do I perform the relearn process?

asked by on December 11, 2015

How do I perform the relearn process?

Whenever the battery is disconnected, the engine control computer needs to go through a procedure. It needs to “relearn” how to operate under specific conditions again to perform optimally. To perform the relearn process.

1. Set the parking brake and put the vehicle in park.

2. Turn everything off except the engine itself.

3. When the engine reaches operating temperature, let the engine idle at full temperature for one minute.

4. Turn the A/C compressor on and fan on high and allow engine to idle for one minute.

5. Release the parking brake and shift to drive with your foot on the brake.

6. Let the engine idle for one minute.

7. Drive the vehicle for at least ten miles to complete the relearn process.