Q: Push-starting a modern car with manual transmission

Can I push-start a modern car with a manual transmission? My old car runs the battery down and is stuck in the second. Pushed it. The car in question is Volkswagen Golf Mk5 diesel.

A: Theoretically you can. If it’s a gasoline V...

Theoretically you can. If it’s a gasoline Volkswagen, sure. Turn the key, push the clutch and there you go. But a diesel engine has so much more compression and it would be very hard. I’ve seen a guy do it, but usually they do it with chain and they are pulling it with a truck.

Then when they push it, it would eventually start up. But push it down the hill maybe. You can push it and if it’s going downhill you might be able to. But diesel engines have so much more compression. They are very hard to push.