Q: Stalling a lot, is this a common enough thing?

I drive a 2006 Ford Explorer that has been more or less reliable for the last 120,000 miles of its life. Recently though, I have had the engine stall on four separate occasions. On those trips, it would stall two or three times before I could get it home. I did a few routine services to it, and replaced some fluids and filters. The vehicle ran fine for two trips then stalled twice on the third. I'm not sure what to do now, as this seems like it could potentially be a serious problem. The resale value isn’t great at this mileage, so is it worth replacing the engine if it comes to that?

A: The throttle body on your vehicle is prone ...

The throttle body on your vehicle is prone to having a buildup of carbon on the throttle plates. This build up can cause the idle speeds to be lower or dip lower than specifications, causing stalling or near stalls. Ford has come out with a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 1-7-4, dated 7/2072012. The TSB requires the throttle body to be removed and cleaned, and the engine control module (ECM) to be reprogrammed. Since you have higher mileage, it may also be time to do a tune up to the engine which includes spark plugs, injector cleaning, and other 120k recommended services.