Q: Sometimes won't turn over

This van has an intermittent problem that it acts like a dead battery or loose terminal, which it does not. The starter will engage for a fraction of a second and stop. I suspect that whatever tells the starter that the engine has started is intermittently failing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The starter motor’s built in solenoid has an internal circuit that should keep the starter engaged once you turn the ignition key to the start position and send power to the starter to start the car. The internal circuit is supposed to complete a circuit inside and keep the starter going until the engine gets to a certain speed. It then kicks the starter drive out and powers off the starter. It’s possible that you have an internal problem to the starter itself.

You should check to make sure power is present to the starter during cranking or you may have a transmission range switch intermittently locking out the crank mode. Install a new transmission range sensor if this is the case.

I’d suggest getting this checked out by a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose your starting problem and make the necessary repairs to your vehicle. Good luck.