Can I drive my car through the grapevine even if I need a...

Q: Can I drive my car through the grapevine even if I need a Cadillac converter?

asked by on August 22, 2017

I want to drive my car to LA but don't know if it will make it through the grapevine because I need a Cadillac converter and I have a evaporative emission leak someone told me I can but I want a mechanics opinion

Hi Koquan. It really depends on how damaged the catalytic converter is and what symptoms you are experiencing. If the engine is running sluggish, driving through the Grapevine might be risky. As you climb hills, the engine will undergo much more stress - and existing problems can be amplified. However, that being said, as long as your engine is not overheating or struggling to run, it’s quite possible you’ll be OK. I would strongly recommend having a good cell phone and verify with your insurance company that you have a roadside assistance program or AAA membership - just in case.