Q: Stalling when slowing down, jerking, sluggish engine

Hello. I've been having stalling problems with my car. It happens when I stop at traffic light or in similar situations when I decelerate. The car would simply turn off completely. Also, if I don't give it gas for a while, it starts jerking even on the highway with no stop and go. It seems that the engine is losing power. What do you suggest I should do? Thank you.

A: You may have a fuel pump or fuel pressure r...

You may have a fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator issue. All of the symptoms you described are possible with a faulty fuel pump. However, the more likely cause in this situation would be the fuel pressure regulator.

The fuel pressure regulator is supposed to maintain correct fuel pressure to the engine at all times and under all conditions. You say that these symptoms are occurring during acceleration and deceleration as opposed to keeping a steady speed. The fuel pressure may not be able to keep up with the demands of fuel pressure maintenance during these conditions any longer. I would recommend having your fuel system checked by a certified professional for a proper diagnosis of your car's stalling issue.