Q: Sometimes car won't start, sometimes car starts great - 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis

Hello, I have a 1998 mercury grand Marquis. I went to start the car and my power locks, radio, and lights would not work. I figured my battery was dead so I left the car for a week until I had time to find someone to jump it. I went to jump the car and she started up fine. The only thing I could think of was the battery being bad (cells). I did a load test and cell test that both checked out fine. I'm thinking now it might be a fuse? What do y'all think?

I usually try not to split hairs when it comes to batteries. If it is 3 years old or older, and it gives you trouble, it’s most likely time to replace the battery. Load tests are okay, but do not cover all that can go wrong internally.

Did you fully charge the battery first? Does the car sit for extended periods? You may consider having a local expert check the battery with an advanced tester that will check for most problems. They can also check your alternator. A bad battery can ruin an alternator so is it really worth it? If you would like to have this checked, a local technician should diagnose your battery in person to see if it is ready to be swapped.

3. Sometimes car won't start, sometimes car starts great - 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis