Q: Q: I have oil leaking onto my spark plugs.

So if you inspected the car that has oil in the spark plugs, would you be able to determine whether it was a valve cover gasket replacement repair or piston ring repair? And what is the cost to do each? I don't want to get the valve cover gasket fixed justvto find out it's really the piston rings that are bad.

Once the ignition coil is removed, if there is oil all over the rubbed boot that covers the spark plug and you see oil in the plug well then it is likely the valve cover gasket is what is causing the leak. Be sure the valve cover gasket kit does come with spark plug tube seals. If there is no oil on the ignition coil or in the well and you pull the spark plug to find burned thick oil on the electrode, this may be a sign of weak ignition coils, weak spark plugs or burned piston rings. With burned piston rings, you may also notice higher than usual oil consumption. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out for a closer inspection of your vehicle to offer a more personal diagnosis of your oil leak.

3. Q: I have oil leaking onto my spark plugs.