Q: Slipping transmission until it warms up in a 1998 Subi Forester

I've got a 1998 Subi Forester with 215,000 miles on it. In the morning, the transmission would slip a little till it warms up, with no problems till the end of the day. Should I get a new transmission?

It’s starting to wear out. It’s notorious for Subarus and it’s one of the reasons I tell people not to buy Subaru. You’ve got 215,000 miles, so you’ve got a lot of life out of it and can’t complain about that. But if it was a Toyota, it would probably still be running with no problems at all.

Knowing Subarus, it’s going to need to be rebuilt. You can rebuild it if you want to keep the car and if it still runs good. My advice is to buy an already remanufactured transmission, that’s done by a pro. Those transmissions are rather hard to be rebuilt correctly but there are places out there that do rebuild them and then you can go and get your transmission from them. If you want to verify this problem, a technician from YourMechanic can inspect your transmission slip to make sure that you know exactly what needs repair.

3. Slipping transmission until it warms up in a 1998 Subi Forester