Q: Slight whining noise when changing up gears at higher revs or going up hill

Hi,

I just purchased a 1.9 tdi A3 that has covered 100000 miles. It has been well maintained by the previous owner, which included a new clutch at 80,000 miles. I noticed today that there is a whining noise when changing up gears when the clutch is pressed. The noise stops once I start accelerating again. I only notice the noise when the engine is under strain I.e. Going up hill... Having only just purchased privately I am concerns it may lead to an expensive fix. Any advice would be gravely received! Many thanks - Dan

The key diagnostic, which you have artfully captured, is "when the clutch is pressed". This narrows the diagnosis to either a failing clutch throwout bearing, or failing clutch pilot bearing. Both of these should have been replaced when the clutch was replaced.

A confirming diagnostic would be to press the clutch pedal in while at a standstill (engine running) and hold the clutch pedal down. If your hear the noise while pressing the clutch pedal, it is one of these 2 bearings. Unfortunately, replacing them will require removal of either the engine or transmission to access the bearings. A certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to verify the cause of the noise and assist with repairs.

3. Slight whining noise when changing up gears at higher revs or going up hill