Q: Slight whining noise when changing up gears at higher revs or going up hill

asked by on October 13, 2016

Hi,

I just purchased a 1.9 tdi A3 that has covered 100000 miles. It has been well maintained by the previous owner, which included a new clutch at 80,000 miles. I noticed today that there is a whining noise when changing up gears when the clutch is pressed. The noise stops once I start accelerating again. I only notice the noise when the engine is under strain I.e. Going up hill... Having only just purchased privately I am concerns it may lead to an expensive fix. Any advice would be gravely received! Many thanks - Dan

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The key diagnostic, which you have artfully captured, is "when the clutch is pressed". This narrows the diagnosis to either a failing clutch throwout bearing, or failing clutch pilot bearing. Both of these should have been replaced when the clutch was replaced.

A confirming diagnostic would be to press the clutch pedal in while at a standstill (engine running) and hold the clutch pedal down. If your hear the noise while pressing the clutch pedal, it is one of these 2 bearings. Unfortunately, replacing them will require removal of either the engine or transmission to access the bearings. A certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to verify the cause of the noise and assist with repairs.