Q: Slight power steering fluid leak on the outside of inner tie rod boot. Possibly from rack and pinion. Should I replace the rack?

I noticed the outside of the inner tie rod boot is wet with power steering fluid and I suspect it to be coming from the power steering rack. It is a minor leak and is seeping out very slowly. I checked the fluid level in the reseviour every day for the past two weeks and it has stayed full and the steering is fine. Would I still need to eventually replace the whole rack and pinion or could I get away with attempting to seal up the leak with Lucas PS Stop Leak?

Hi Josh. Thanks for contacting us tonight. While I’m a big fan of the brand you mentioned, the truth is that ’stop leak’ products are temporary fixes at best. In many instances, the product will seal a small leak for a day or so, but eventually will leak again. If you are planning to keep the vehicle for an extended period, then it would be wise to replace the rack.

3. Slight power steering fluid leak on the outside of inner tie rod boot. Possibly from rack and pinion. Should I replace the rack?