Q: Sliding door won't close with buttons

I’m having trouble with the driver’s side sliding door on my minivan. I can’t use the button to close it. Neither the button on the door, nor the button overhead on the driver’s side - they don’t work. The sliding door will open, but won’t close. I’ve tried flipping the overhead switch to close it manually, but 50% of the time it rips the door from my hand and opens it again. When I do get it to close and stay closed, the warning Ding-Ding-Ding won’t stop. Then the back interior lights don’t go off and there is no warning light on the dash to tell me that the door is open. There’s only one time it stops, for a second, and that’s when I push the power button to open it; however, when it is open, it immediately starts the Ding-Ding-Dinging! What will repair and fix this problem?

A: The doors have a safety sensor that will no...

The doors have a safety sensor that will not allow the door to close when the sensor is indicating that the door is blocked. Another possibility is that the door slides are binding the door and the motor senses it then reverses it back open.

The system will need to be scanned with a scanner that can monitor the input and outputs of the body computer's sensor. You will have to have it tested since it is a safety hazard to try and bypass the system.

You could try and open door all the way open and clean the door tracks out. Be sure to remove all of the dirt and debris that are in the tracks and lightly lube the tracks. If it still binds and reverses then have a certified mechanic test the system out. They will be able to diagnose the problem with your door and make the necessary repairs.