Q: Service Tire monitoring system

I'm getting a message telling me to Service tire monitoring system and when it comes on my low tire pressure signal blinks for a few seconds and stays on for a few days. Then it will be fine for a week or two then I see the same message again. What is the issue here? And is there anyway I can fix it myself?

This warning typically comes on when the system detects a problem with one or more of the tire pressure sensors. It is likely one or more of the sensors are putting out a weak signal and the vehicle cannot detect the pressure reading. The sensors are mounted inside the tires and they have internal batteries which do eventually fail. The batteries cannot be replaced so the tire sensor has to be replaced. This process involves removing the tire from the rim for the access necessary to remove the old sensor and install the new one which requires special equipment. You may be able to buy a sensor on your own to save some cost, but you will have to visit a repair facility to have the replacement service performed.