Q: Service required light is on in dashboard

Hi just recenlty purchase a second hand car hyundai i30 active automatic 1.8, there is service required -13437 written in the dashboard but the sales person told us its okay just ignore it coz the car was recenlty service,what does it mean? Should we ignore the service required? Im afraid i might stop in the middle of the road if i ignore those sign should i go have a service but it recently had service im confuse thank you so much if you could answer me back so i will be at ease using it at work thanks

A: Hi there: The Service (or Service Engine) ...

Hi there:

The Service (or Service Engine) light is a warning light that is connected to the engine control unit (ECU) of a vehicle. The ECU is the brain of the car and monitors a number of systems, including mileage, engine temperature and performance and the efficiency of the entire system. There are scheduled intervals for service; and after the service has been completed, the warning light can be manually reset. If you look inside your glove compartment there is most likely a vehicle owner manual. The instructions for resetting the service light should be in that manual. If you complete those steps and the light is still on, have a mobile mechanic from our team complete a service light is on inspection. This will allow us to download any error codes trapped in the ECU and determine why the light is on.