Q: Just replaced timing chain and see it is a common issue with this model. Should I keep or trade the car? Do you see this a lot?

asked by on March 05, 2017

Timing chain replaced. I have read online that people have already had to replace the timing chain twice at only 100,000 miles. Do you see this a lot in this make and model? Trying to decide to keep the car or if I should trade it in.

The timing chains are tightened up by the timing tensioner and rides along the timing guides. At around 50K miles, the timing chain tensioner tends to stop working. The tensioner is hydraulically operated. To prolong the timing chain and keep it tight at all times, Try cleaning out the engine with an oil additive or a half quart of ATF to thin out the engine oil as the engine runs for about 15 minutes at 2,000 rpm’s. Then do an oil change and change the filter. This can prolong the life of a timing chain to 85K miles. This is normal, but also revving the engine to near 6,000 rpm’s will also make the guide shorten its life as it heats up very quickly. I recommend keeping the car and performing the maintenance as other cars have similar issues with other parts. If you need further assistance with your timing chain life span, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.