Q: Will a Ford Econoline 7.3 diesel van/ambulance transmission fit my truck and if so what modifications will I have to make?

asked by on October 06, 2017

Okay so I got the Ford F250 Super Duty V8 turbo 7.3 L Diesel Powerstroke start having transmission problems so I drop the transmission and ended up getting a used transmission from a buddy of mine that had a I believe 1990 Ford Econoline van ambulance and it was 7.3 L diesel automatic in from what I had read online it was compatible with my transmission there's a few things that are different like gear linkage in the speedometer cable and I'm just wondering if I am wrong and thinking this would have been compatible for my truck but if not what modifications do I need to make so that I can put this in my truck correctly

I looked up the two applications. The two transmissions are different and, in particular, the transmission control module and PCM and the wiring harness on your 1999 truck are not compatible with the controls on the 1990 transmission. If you are looking for a transmission for your 1999 F-250, simply go to Car-Part.com and you will find an exact match for your car (there are many listed). Transmission swaps on modern computer controlled vehicles must be exact matches because if you attempt to use a transmission that is not cataloged as a DIRECT cross reference, you will find that the engine and transmission computers are not interchangeable. Consequently, even if you can get a "different" transmission to physically fit, it will not operate properly and the PCM will spit out error codes. If you are interested in a transmission replacement (OEM to OEM), YourMechanic professionals in certain locales can assist with that. Please simply inquire based on your locale. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr