Ford SPI engine dropped valve seat-warning 2003 Ford Focu...

Q: Ford SPI engine dropped valve seat-warning 2003 Ford Focus

asked by on June 18, 2017

The check engine light came on and has not gone off, the car idles and stalls almost completely when stopped at intersection(red light), the engine mounts were replaced 2 years ago. I read about Ford SPI engine dropped valve seat-warning problem starting at about 70K, can you please tell me how what type of specialty shop is best to diagnose this problem? If it is the dropped valve-seat problem and the top end the valve seats come loose from the cylinder head and drop into the cylinder and if it's in little chunks then they sometimes they can blow out your exhaust pipe and be okay and you just kind of it smokes and you have the cylinder head replaced. What type of shop woud be best to get the cylinder head replace. I read you can get the reconned heads from EBAY or is it better to get from salvage yard. What type of machine shop would service machine shop cylinder head valve job? Is it better to get annother engine that to have the cylinder had valve job done? I am on limited funds.

Hi There, It sounds like you may need to have the cylinder head replaced depending on the damage to the valve seat area. I would suggest having the head pulled off and inspected to determine if it may be reconditioned, however this may be more expensive than simply purchasing a re-manufactured cylinder head. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at the vehicle to determine what options you may have with regard to repairing or replacing the head.