Q: Timing chain too loose

My car is making a rattling sound. I wonder if the timing chain is too loose.

Hello. The rattling sound that you are hearing could be coming from several different areas of the engine. Your drive belt pulley could be bad, a compressor clutch could be loose, or the alternator pulley or timing chain could be rattling. It is also possible that there are loose exhaust parts causing this noise. It would be necessary to have the engine inspected in order to determine the cause of the rattling noise. This should be done by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. Timing chain too loose